Job description is considered as one of the most crucial features of personnel management (Torrington & Hall, 1991). Some of the most significant factors could be ignored if the staff is not certain of their responsibilities. Moreover, certain tensions may come about among the staff when the responsibilities overlap (Torrington & Hall, 1991). Having clear job descriptions in place helps document the roles and responsibilities of each employee and help the organization make informed decisions regarding the employee’s contribution to the organization (Torrington & Hall, 1991). In addition, appropriate steps should be employed while recruiting and selecting qualified personnel to ensure suitable people are hired. Each step has to be successfully carried out to make sure the applicant selected meets the criteria provided in the job description. This report examines the development of a job description and outlines the recruiting and selection process.
Get a price quote
Developing a Job Description for Registered Nurse
Writing a job description is very important as it is one of the most important factors that ensure appropriate staff is employed. An organization’s success is significantly determined by the type of personnel it has in terms of the knowledge, skills, and abilities (Torrington & Hall, 1991). A job description should therefore be developed in consideration of the specific needs of the organization to ensure the personnel hired helps the organization meet the specified need. However, it is important to note that all the necessary information a potential employee has to know has to be included in the job description (Torrington & Hall, 1991). These include the job title and the objectives of the job. The list of tasks or duties to be performed should also be provided to help provide an explanation regarding the position. All responsibilities that will ensure successful accomplishment of the job have to be listed. The job standards, specifications, and requirements also have to be provided in the job description (Torrington & Hall, 1991). This illustrates the minimum amount of knowledge, skills, experience, and education the position requires. It is also important to indicate the job location and the salary range. In addition, in the job description, the roles and relationships the potential employee will hold with the organization should be described (Torrington & Hall, 1991).
In this case, the organization requires a registered nurse, who will be charged with the main responsibility of providing good care to patients and preparing them for surgery. However, taking account of the fact that the roles of a nurse are diversified, other duties may include developing plans that meet the medical needs of the patients and admitting new patients into the hospital, among many other duties. The minimum level of education this position requires is an associate’s degree in nursing, plus the two-year experience working as a registered nurse, along with some surgery and medical experience. The language skills required include the ability to read, interpret, and analyze professional journals, government regulations, and technical procedures. The applicant should also have the ability to solve practical problems and be legally identified as a registered nurse. The information provided in the job description is based on the specific needs of the organization, its environment and the job specifics.
Looking for essay Get 15% off your first order Order now
This job description fits well in the specific needs of this organization, taking into account the fact that, as a hospital, one of its responsibilities is to ensure that all patients are provided with good care from fully qualified medical practitioners. For continuity of the human race, it is important to ensure all people are provided with good, quality care. However, it is certain that sickness is a major factor that affects humanity. While it is impossible to totally prevent it, it is important to note that qualified medical practitioners have the ability to ensure good care is offered to sick individuals. As one of the institutions charged with the responsibility of providing good quality care to sick people, it is important to ensure a registered nurse is hired to help provide these services. In addition, like any other viable business, the hospital has a major goal of providing good services that will enable it to make good returns. Apart from providing good, quality care to its patients, it is one of its goals to attain profitability. Therefore, to ensure stable profits, it is important to make sure good services are offered to patients from qualified personnel in order to attract more customers. Furthermore, the provision of quality care will give the hospital a good reputation.
In the recruitment and selection process, a selection committee will be established to help shortlist, interview, and recommend candidates for employment. The selection committee will consist of members, senior in rank to the registered nurse, who will be headed by the human resources manager. After potential employees have been shortlisted, they will be requested to appear for the interviews. The applicants will be interviewed in person, and asked basic questions relating to the requirements of this position. The candidates will also be asked supplementary questions to help obtain more information. Questions will be asked based on the knowledge and experience and education of the applicant. The issues of gender, age, ethnic origin, disability status, family responsibilities, and religious background should not be the basis for identifying a potential employee. The selection committee will be responsible for identifying and recommending the right candidate based on merit. These steps are necessary considering the fact that the organization needs to hire a qualified and skilled personnel that will help the organization meet its targets. Furthermore, it is certain that the organization needs to hire an employee that will meet the specific requirements of the job and it is therefore important to ensure an effective selection process is applied in order to identify a suitable employee to fill that position. The selection committee will conduct background checks before calling the qualified candidates for the interview, taking into account that numerous applications will be received, and this will therefore ensure the candidates that are fully qualified are shortlisted for the interviews.
Invite your friends and get a 10% commission from each order they have made.Learn more
The selection committee will be composed of about seven people drawn from all the departments, plus the human resources manager who will basically oversee the activities of this committee. However, considering the fact that this is a position that is very sensitive, it is important that all members take part in every step of the hiring process. All members will be involved in conducting the background checks in order to identify potential employees that will be shortlisted for the interviews. The interview sessions will also incorporate all members of the committee, upon which a fully qualified and suitable applicant will be selected in agreement.
Attachment: Job description for registered Nurse
Registered Nurse Department: Nursing Services
Reports to: Nurse Manager
· Registered nurses working at the surgery department play a vital role in making sure that the services at this special hospital run smoothly and efficiently. Therefore, the main objective of this position is to enable the hospital carry out its duties efficiently and ensure that the all patients are provided with good quality care.
· Responsible for providing holistic nursing care, utilizing the nursing process and meeting the established standards regarding the nursing practices and performance. The nurse will basically conduct duties in relation to the standards and requirements stipulated in the nursing training manual.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Participates in the admission of patients into the hospital
· Clarifies initial or hospital discharge medication orders and contacts the surgeon to review the resident’s status and medication plans
· Develops plans to ensure that the medical and health care needs of residents are met, which may include providing special instructions to resident and home staff related to medical diagnosis, coordinating and reviewing lab work, coordinating care with clinics, outside surgery and hospitals
· Carry out treatment plans on patient while following the instructions given by the medical doctor in charge or the surgeon and make follow-ups on patient’s cases and produce reports based on the directives of the medical doctor.
· Conduct triages on patients in a bid to establish the urgency of the conditions between different patients so as to prioritize and know how to offer treatment in each case.
· Documents services in accordance with the agency policy and requirements
· Promotes resident empowerment and self-care activities including self-medication
· Administration of intravenous drips to patients
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
· Covers for colleagues during vacations and at other times of need by the Agency
· Participates in Agency training activities
· Teaches and reinforces vital signs and medication management to home staff
· Participates in the orientation of new nursing staff
· Participates in community and other public education regarding mission and philosophy
· Attends staff, discipline, and committee meetings as assigned by Supervision
· Submits SAL’s weekly, a work schedule monthly, and mileage vouchers monthly to the Clinical Manager.
· Reviews and signs incident reports and provides follow-up.
· Assumes responsibility for professional development
· All other duties as assigned by supervision.
· Minimum Associate’s Degree in Nursing
· Two years of experience working as a registered nurse including some medical/surgical experience and awareness of the needs of the chronically, mentally ill.
· Ability to read, analyze, and interpret human service periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
· Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
· Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
· Ability to calculate figures related to medication dosages and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, percentages, and area.
· Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
· Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
· State of Michigan License as a Registered Nurse
· Must have and maintain a valid Michigan Driver’s License, maintain automobile insurance coverage, and have access to an automobile.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently lifts and/or moves up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.